Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Favorite Jerks


Now, I've noticed a trend in my collecting tendencies.....I love protagonists in comics that are absolute jerks. Heroes (sometimes in the loosest of terms) who tend to possess little or no redeeming social skills whatsoever.

I began to notice this a while back, when I started buying DC Comics' newest attempt at a comic based upon the mercenary intergalactic police force L.E.G.I.O.N., this time around called R.E.B.E.L.S....I was a big fan of the original series (which ran from 1987-1993) and the biggest reason for that was L.E.G.I.O.N. founder and leader, Vril Dox aka Brainiac 2....

I love Dox because he's not really evil...he's just completely arrogant, without any visible scruples, and power hungry...in essence, everything a good villain should be, but he realizes that real power stems from bureaucracy...and he's smart enough to be the one applying the red tape. He's kinda like Victor Von Doom...if Doom was slightly less meglo-maniacal than he actually is, and a hell of a lot less noble. Dox is the kinda guy who views all of his acquaintances as assets, because he doesn't have the patience for the concept of friendship or meaningful relationships. Plus, he's a pretty quick wit and sarcastic to the core...he's the reader's superego given a voice, because the shit that comes outta his mouth makes perfect sense....to someone who possesses no tact or compassion......imagine Mr. Spock, only without a moral compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment